It may not sound hugely exciting but blending broccoli is one of the most simple and tasty ways of eating it. I have been sneaking it into classics like carbonara and pesto, roasting it with spices and frying it with Asian flavours
- Put 200g of sprouting broccoli (green or purple) and 100g frozen peas into a bowl, cover with boiling water and stand for 1 minute before draining.
- Cook enough pasta for 2 (I like orecchiette or spelt spaghetti) according to packet instructions whilst you prepare the pesto.
- Use a food processor or hand blender to blend the broccoli and peas, 1 garlic clove, juice and zest of 1 lemon, handful each of basil and parsley, 50g parmesan, 100ml extra virgin olive oil to a chunky paste.
- Season to taste and stir through cooked and drained pasta.
- Serve with extra lemon juice and parmesan shavings.
*Tip – Drain, rinse and pat dry a handful of capers then fry until they pop. Scatter over pasta for a piquant garnish.
2 Comments Add yours
Hi Katie – two lovely posts in a row. Nice idea on blitzing the broccoli for pasta dishes – in my new found semi-vegetarian-ism I’ll be giving this a go….
That sprouting broccoli is gorgeous! What a great idea to use it with peas in a pesto!